Mobile malware is present across all platforms. Whether you’re using Android, iOS or Windows Phone, you’re exposed to multitude of malwares and vulnerabilities that are developed to steal information. This fact isn’t just a nod to the significantly decreasing market share of PCs, but also the glaring shift of malware developers to mobile devices. Tablets and phones are increasingly a target of cybercriminals
According to Bryan Sat, Business Development Manager for South East Asia – Philippines, during today’s launch of Kaspersky Mobile Security and Tablet Security at Outback, Glorietta 4, “PC market is significantly shrinking. Kaspersky believes that this is the perfect time to introduce security for the growing market of phones and tablets.” More online communications and transactions are happening on tablets and phones – accessing the Internet is no longer unique to PCs.
Due to lots of “interesting” things contained in mobile devices – such as messages, work emails, contacts, photos , GPS coordinates, etc – it makes it one of man’s most valuable asset. Thus, minute gap of inattentiveness to our mobile devices could entail devastating personal security nightmare. Aside from losing the device, someone could also possibly steal your personal information and use such to your disadvantage.
Mobile Security Software for Android Devices
Here are the key features of the 2 products:
The free version of both products obviously have limited but definitely useful features. Definitely, the Anti-Theft Protection is readily available whether you download the free version or buy the paid version. Anti-Theft protection has the following features:
For Smartphones (Mobile Security)
- Blocks, wipes or locates your lost or stolen phone — even if the SIM card is replaced
- Identifies unauthorized users of missing phones with a “Mugshot” by secretly taking their picture
- Makes your phone emit an alarm — even if it’s on silent mode
- Provides personal web-based control center for remote interaction with anti-theft features
Blocks unwanted calls and texts from unknown numbers
Ensures you receive only the calls and texts that you want to receive
For Tablets (Tablet Security)
- Blocks access to your tablet if it’s lost or stolen and locates it with Google Maps
- Remotely cleans your tablet, wiping it of your personal information
- Allows for remote activation of an alarm that can only be deactivated with your secret code
- Identifies unauthorized users with a “Mugshot” feature that secretly takes pictures
- Provides a personal account for remote anti-theft management
The only loophole we see here is the requirement for the smartphone or tablet to be connected to the internet for some features to work well. When asked about the software’s support on multiple devices, Mr.Jesmond Chang, Assistant Manager for Corporation Communications, said that additional licenses for Android phones that are tied up to your Play Store account may be bought via Kaspersky’s website.
Since we received premium versions of these 2 products, we are very eager and excited to try them out and report back real life performance.